Today you will learn the easiest way to back up and recover hard drive data, regardless any size. Converting hard drive data into ISO format and then retrieving from it, is a very simple task.
To protect the data from accidental loss or file corruption, you should take the back up of your hard drive. There are many methods available to backup and recover your hard drive data. But today I am going to show you the easiest method to do that, using two freeware software.
How to back up and recover hard drive data for Windows
First Understand, What is an ISO format?
An ISO file (or images), is a, perfect representation of an entire CD, DVD or Hard Drive. The entire contents of any disc can be duplicated in a single ISO file.
Why should we choose ISO format to back up hard drive data?
An ISO format, we can create an exact copy of a hard drive. Creating ISO file is an efficient way to back up your information, plus you can access it very easily. An ISO file itself is no good unless it can be opened or assembled and used. There are multiple freeware and paid software are available, which can help up to create back up in ISO format.
In short, it is one of the easiest and most efficient way to back up your hard drive. By saving an image of your hard drive as an ISO, you can quickly and easily restore your backed up data.
How to back up hard drive data to ISO file?
If you are creating an ISO from a large hard drive, you will need an external drive to store the ISO.
Follow these simple steps to create an ISO back up to your hard drive.
- We will use a Free Software known as Imgburn, which allows you to create ISO files.
- Download and install Imgburn
- Open the software and click "Create image file from files/folders."
- Connect your external hard drive to your computer.
- Click "File" and select "Browse for a source folder..." Select the hard drive you'd like to backup
- Click the "Destination" icon and select your external hard drive as the location to save the ISO. Click the Green arrow to create the ISO.
- That's it. Of course, Image creation will take time according to the size of your data.
How to Retrieve hard drive data from ISO file backup?
Here, I am gonna explain how to recover hard drive data from ISO file. In screenshots, I have used Office 2010 image to explain recover procedure from ISO file. Exact procedure can be used to retrieve data from and ISO image of an hard drive data.
We will recover hard drive data from ISO file using Pismo File Mount
As you can see there are many programs that we could use to extract the contents from ISO files, but there are few reasons that I prefer Pismo File mount.
- Easy to use
- Non invasive
Download, from Here.
- Run the installer for Pismo File Mount Audit Package.
- After the installation, I right click on the ISO file that I had downloaded and choose “Mount Image”
After mounting the image, double click and open the file
Now, copy-paste all the data and Unmounts the image from Pismo File Mount. That's it. You have recovered all the data from ISO format.
How to recover deleted ISO files by using recovery software?
We will use Yodot Hard drive recovery software to use recover the deleted ISO files.
- Download and install Yodot Hard Drive Recovery software to your Windows computer
- Run the software to begin the recovery process and follow the instruction present on screen
- It will display two options
- ”Delete File Recovery” and “Lost File Recovery”
- Select “Delete File Recovery” option to recover deleted ISO files on your computer
- The software will scan the entire computer and shows all the logical or physical volume present on system
- Select the particular drive from which you need to recover ISO files and click on “Next“ button
- The software starts scanning the selected logical drive and display all the deleted or lost ISO files in “Data View” and “File Type View”
- Data View provides the hierarchical view of recovered files and folders similar to windows explorer and File Type View helps to view restored deleted files on basis of file extension.
- By using “Save Recovery Session” option save the recovered ISO files to your desired destination location on system
How to back up and recover hard drive data For Mac
The best way to recover and take back up for Mac is to clone your hard drive by using a third-party program, such as Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper or MacOsX built-in feature Disk Utility. Additionally, there are proper backup systems such as Crashplan, Backblaze and SpiderOak. Recovering would be easy as downloading. You can use some encryption software before uploading the files.
For deleted ISO file recovery there's Mac version of Yodot is also available.
How to back up and recover hard drive data For Ubuntu
In case of Ubuntu, you can use RedoBackup and CloneZilla for backup and recover your hard drive. CloneZilla is my personal favorite, because it is free and easy to use. It helps you to do system deployment, bare metal backup and recovery.
So, I have explained to you an easy way to back up and recover hard drive data with relevant screenshots and images. Also, how to recover deleted ISO files. Stay tuned for more interesting tutorials.
Also Read, Cloud services back ups - Dropbox vs Google drive vs Skydrive